Monday, May 9, 2016

Air Bag Lab

This lab was very cool! Figuring it all out with the calculations was a little tough, but it helped to have some other people help me out in the process. I knew we had to take into account of 5% acetic acid in the vinegar but I didn't know what. I feel so dumb now because you needed to multiply it by 20 to get 100% acetic acid. After passing the pre-lab and all showing Frank our calculations we all picked the biggest bag possible. It was funny because we all had these huge plastic bags. It certainly made calculation easier since we would all have the same volume. The bag turned out to be 3.733 L. That's a lot! At first we were just going to fill the bag 85% full, but we switched it to be 90% full which worked out great! We put about 11.3 g of baking soda and 200ml of vinegar in the bag and shook it all up together with the bag sealed shut. It was scary but cool at the same time to see all the bubbles form and feel the CO2 building up in the bag. I was almost afraid mine was about to explode. But it was all good! I passed the lab! I had successfully made an air bag!









No comments:

Post a Comment